Illowa Irregulars is hosting a Wild Bunch match June 19, 2021. Registration begins at 10:30 a.m. with first rounds downrange about 11:00 a.m. (Note: the previous post indicated an 8:00 Registration/9:15 start time but that was incorrect.)
Round Count: Pistol 77, Rifle 51, SG 34.
As indicated before, Costa Rican Kidd is running the Wild Bunch Matches at Milan Rifle Club and is opening up Wild Bunch matches to more shooters. For those that have a desire to shoot a match, but may not have all equipment necessary for a SASS Sanctioned Wild Bunch match, Milan is offering an OPEN class:
PISTOL: You don’t have a 1911 style pistol? NO WORRIES! Bring your Glock, Sig, Ruger, Smith and Wesson, etc. Any semi- auto with the capacity to hold a minimum of 7rds. A minimum of 3 magazines is required. You say, all I have is a double action revolver? You are in – again 6rds minimum x 3 speed loaders or full moon clips.
RIFLE: Don’t have a lever action rifle? NO WORRIES! You can use any rifle that will shoot a pistol caliber (38spl, 9mm, 45acp and 45 Colt) can be used. All Rifle Courses of fire are 10rds or less. Optionally, you can omit shooting the rifle course of fire.
SHOTGUN: Everyone has a shotgun. Bring what you have, SxS, Over & Under, Pump, Semi Auto and Single Shot. Sorry, forgot you Mossberg owners, magazine feed bolt action. All shotgun courses of Fire are 6 rounds or less.
The intent is not to eliminate SASS Wild Bunch classes, as we will be following guidelines set forth by SASS. Rather we are trying to bring more shooters into the game at the local level. As always, safety is #1! Is this your 1st rodeo? NO WORRIES, there will be plenty of seasoned rustlers to lend a hand and offer guidance.
IMPORTANT: For any new shooters coming for the first time to try Wild Bunch, perhaps with other types of guns, all rifle, pistol, and shotgun ammo must be lead only, and no jacketed or semi-jacketed rounds. See the detailed ammunition description at the end of this post.
As we did last month, we are publishing the stages in advance. Here is the link to the June 19 Wild Bunch Stages:
The stages for the June 20 Cowboy Match will be published tomorrow. While not expected, advanced-published stage designs are subject to change should something arise that requires it.
PS. If you’re able to help us set up for the matches beginning at 9:00 a.m. Saturday please do so. Also, don’t forget we tear things down and put targets away on 9:00 a.m. Monday.
Here are the detailed ammo requirements as published in the SASS Handbook
REVOLVER AND RIFLE AMMUNITION
- May not be jacketed, semi-jacketed, hollow point, plated, or gas checked. It must
be all lead. Moly-Disulfide, polymer coated bullets, or equivalents are acceptable.
- Must be of “single projectile” design. “Multiple projectile” bullets are illegal.
- Ammunition with bullets recessed below the case mouth is not allowed.
- All center-fire or rim-fire ammunition must be designed to package the bullet,
gunpowder, and primer into a single metallic case precisely made to fit the firing
chamber of the firearm. The primer must be of the type that uses only a small
charge of impact sensitive chemical that may be located at the center of the case
head or at its rim.
- Electrically fired ammunition is illegal.
- Shotgun size must be number 4 lead birdshot or smaller for all events (no steel or
- Magnum and high velocity shotgun shells are not allowed.
- Shotgun shells shall not be sized down (necked) by the use of any die not
manufactured for the specific gauge.
- “Coned” shotgun ammunition (partially-crimped or ogival crimped) is not
- Shotgun shell shall not be scored (ringed) as to cause the shot-shell case, wad,
and shot column to be shot from the firearm as one projectile.
- Pump and lever action shotguns are not allowed to load more than two live rounds
at a time in the main match stages unless specified in the stage description. In
team events, shotguns may be loaded to their maximum magazine capacity