Howdy Cowboys, Cowgirls, and friends,
Here is a quick status update on the SASS 2022 Illinois State Championship scheduled for July 15-17, 2022, along with a few fun facts.
This will be the first Illinois Championship match since 2019 and the first state championship match hosted by Illowa Irregulars, although we’ve regularly hosted other reasonably large matches. Planning for the 2022 Championship began July 2021 when an exploratory committee was formed, with the committee putting together a proposal for us to host a 2022 State Championship match. We presented our proposal to the Milan Rifle Club Board (MRC) in August 2021. MRC’s board approved the proposal, and we quickly submitted our application to SASS a couple of weeks in advance of the September 2021 deadline. SASS accepted our application.
The Exploratory Committee quickly morphed into the Planning Committee and added a few more cowboys and cowgirls for good measure. Tasks were assigned and it’s been nonstop work since. It’s now early March 2022 and things are coming together nicely. As of today, we’ve 126 registered shooters which is 70% of our 180-shooter limit. Count Sandor is writing the Stages and the club has purchased some new targets.
Here are a few fun facts to date:
- We have shooters from 13 different states registered so far;
- 61% of registrants are from Illinois with 17 % from Iowa, with the rest scattered among the remaining 11 states;
- At the current time we’ve shooters in 34 different categories with Elder Statesman, Cattle Baron, and Forty-niner being the most popular;
- The Championship buckles are in, and the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place buckles will be ordered soon;
- We’ve a sponsor for each of our 10 stages;
- We’ve plenty of other Sponsor Opportunities for anyone who would like to support the club and/or advertise on our website and in the Event Program;
- The Event Program is in final draft form and will go to print in mid- to late-June;
- There is still plenty of time to get an ad in Event Program;
- 17 people have indicated they would like a camping spot, and we fully expect that number to grow into the 20’s;
- We’ve plenty of room, but keep in mind this is dry camping only at the range; and,
- We’ve about 50 reservations for Saturday night’s optional Celebration Belle riverboat dinner cruise.
If you’ve registered, thank-you and we look forward to seeing you this July. If you’ve yet to register or know of someone who is planning to do so, be sure to send in your match registrations soon to guarantee a spot, as there are only 54 open spots remaining.
If you have any questions or need additional information please email Illowa Irregulars by clicking here.
Happy trails, and maybe we’ll see you this July,