Guess what? It’s time for our June matches – a Wild Bunch Match on Saturday, June 18 and a Cowboy Match on Sunday, June 19. Both match books are available for download. Simply click on the following links:
Due to some range work, it is theoretically possible we may have to relocate one of the stages. While not anticipated, we want to make you aware of it. Nothing would change other than that stage would shoot from a set of tables in an open range instead of from the building façade. The stage would shoot the same. This would affect both the Cowboy and Wild Bunch matches. Again, we don’t expect it, but it’s possible. As always, these stages are published in advance and are subject to change due to last minute issues that sometimes arise.
This is the last Cowboy match before our July Illinois State shoot. Come on over and get in some final practice on the range. Registration for the Sunday Cowboy opens at 8:00 a.m. with a 9:15 a.m. mandatory Safety meeting.
PS. If you’re able to help us set up for the June matches please do so. We will be setting up for both the Cowboy and Wild Bunch matches beginning at 9:00 a.m. Saturday, June 18. Also, don’t forget we also need help tearing targets down and putting them away at 9:00 a.m. Monday, June 20.
Wild Bunch Info
Illowa Irregulars is also hosting a Wild Bunch match Saturday, June 18, 2022. Come on out and give it a go! If you’ve not shot Wild Bunch before, its name gives you a clue of what to expect. Registration begins at 10:00 a. m. with 1st rounds downrange about 11:00 a.m.
In addition to the traditional Wild Bunch classes, we are also offering an OPEN class for those who’d like to give it a try but perhaps not have all the equipment necessary.
PISTOL: Don’t have a 1911 style pistol? NO WORRIES! Bring your Glock, Sig, Ruger, Smith and Wesson, etc. Any semi- auto with the capacity to hold a minimum of 7rds. A minimum of 3 magazines is required. You say, all I have is a double action revolver? You are in – again 6rds minimum x 3 speed loaders or full moon clips.
RIFLE: Don’t have a lever action rifle? NO WORRIES! You can use any rifle that will shoot a pistol caliber (38spl, 9mm, 45acp and 45 Colt) can be used. All Rifle Courses of fire are 10rds or less. Optionally, you can omit shooting the rifle course of fire.
SHOTGUN: Everyone has a shotgun. Bring what you have, SxS, Over & Under, Pump, Semi Auto and Single Shot. Sorry, forgot you Mossberg owners, magazine feed bolt action. All shotgun courses of Fire are 6 rounds or less.
The intent is not to eliminate SASS Wild Bunch classes, as we will be following guidelines set forth by SASS. Rather we are trying to bring more shooters into the game at the local level. As always, safety is #1! Is this your 1st rodeo? NO WORRIES, there will be plenty of seasoned rustlers to lend a hand and offer guidance.
IMPORTANT: All rifle, pistol, and shotgun ammo must be lead only; no jacketed or semi-jacketed rounds can be used. See the detailed ammunition description at the end of this post.
As we did last month, we are publishing the stages in advance. Here is the link to the June 18 Wild Bunch Stages:
Download the Wild Bunch Match Book here: June 2022 Stage (will be available soon)
Round Count: 6 Stages, Pistol 70, Rifle 50, SG 22.
Here are the detailed ammo requirements as published in the SASS Handbook
REVOLVER AND RIFLE AMMUNITION
· May not be jacketed, semi-jacketed, hollow point, plated, or gas checked. It must be all lead. Moly-Disulfide, polymer coated bullets, or equivalents are acceptable.
· Must be of “single projectile” design. “Multiple projectile” bullets are illegal.
· Ammunition with bullets recessed below the case mouth is not allowed.
· All center-fire or rim-fire ammunition must be designed to package the bullet, gunpowder, and primer into a single metallic case precisely made to fit the firing chamber of the firearm. The primer must be of the type that uses only a small charge of impact sensitive chemical that may be located at the center of the case head or at its rim.
· Electrically fired ammunition is illegal.
· Shotgun size must be number 4 lead birdshot or smaller for all events (no steel or plated shot).
· Magnum and high velocity shotgun shells are not allowed.
· Shotgun shells shall not be sized down (necked) by the use of any die not manufactured for the specific gauge.
· “Coned” shotgun ammunition (partially-crimped or ogival crimped) is not allowed.
· Shotgun shell shall not be scored (ringed) as to cause the shot-shell case, wad, and shot column to be shot from the firearm as one projectile.
· Pump and lever action shotguns are not allowed to load more than two live rounds at a time in the main match stages unless specified in the stage description. In team events, shotguns may be loaded to their maximum magazine capacity